Man Utd forward Cristiano Ronaldo has responded to Pascal Ferre’s comments on his supposed “ambition” to win more Ballon d’Or awards than Lionel Messi.
The former Real Madrid and Juventus star is a five-time winner of the Ballon d’Or. Messi meanwhile has won the accolade six times.
This year’s Ballon d’Or ceremony takes place on Monday evening. Messi is favoured to win this time around.
Ferre is a journalist for France Football and he is an organiser of the Ballon d’Or awards. He has told the New York Times that Ronaldo’s “one ambition” is to surpass Messi:
“Ronaldo has only one ambition, and that is to retire with more Ballons d’Or than Messi, and I know that because he has told me.”
The Man Utd attacker has taken to Instagram to respond to Ferre’s claims:
“Today’s outcome explains why Pascal Ferre’s statements last week, when he stated that I confided in him that my only ambition was to finish my career with more Golden Balls than Lionel Messi,” Ronaldo wrote.
“Pascal Ferre lied, he used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication he works for.
“It is unacceptable that the person responsible for awarding such a prestigious prize could lie in this way, in absolute disrespect for someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or.
“And he lied again today, justifying my absence from the Gala with an alleged quarantine that has no reason to exist.
“I always want to congratulate those who win, within the sportsmanship and fair-play that have guided my career since the beginning, and I do it because I’m never against anyone.
“I always win for myself and for the clubs I represent, I win for myself and for those who love me. I don’t win against anyone.
“The biggest ambition of my career is to win national and international titles for the clubs I represent and for the national team in my country.
“The biggest ambition of my career is to be a good example for all those who are or want to be professional footballers.
“The biggest ambition of my career is to leave my name written in golden letters in the history of world football.
“I will end by saying that my focus is already on Manchester United’s next game and on everything that, together with my team-mates and our fans, we can still achieve this season.
“The rest? The rest is just the rest…”
The post Man Utd star Ronaldo responds ‘unacceptable lies’ from Ballon d’Or chief appeared first on Football365.