Newcastle have submitted an improved offer of £10 million for Brighton defender Dan Burn as they look to improve their squad ahead of Monday’s transfer deadline.
Newcastle had a offer of £8 million rejected by the Seagulls earlier this week but the club have now make an increased offer to bring the defender to Tyneside.
2020 vision: Every PL club’s best signing of the decade so far
Burn grew up as a Newcastle fan and lived in the north-east so would reportedly welcome a return back to the area to play for his boyhood club.
As reported by the Daily Mail, Newcastle’s latest bid will consist of £10 million plus add-ons.
The report also states that Howe is hoping to bring in two centre-backs, a left-back and a striker before the deadline as well as completing the deal to bring in Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes.
The club have already brought in the experienced Kieran Trippier at right-back from Atletico Madrid as well as acquiring Chris Wood from relegation rivals Burnley.
Newcastle boss Eddie Howe spoke to the media on Friday and whilst he wouldn’t comment on specific players, he did admit that the club were close to completing their third signing of the window.
“There’s nothing on individual players but we are hopeful we are getting close to completing a transfer,” Howe said.
“Fingers crossed we’re close to getting one over the line.
“From my perspective I don’t imagine that would be the end of our interest in bringing new players in,” he said. “Whether that turns into reality, who knows?
“Things change very late in this window as everybody knows, it can be quite unpredictable in the last couple of days.
“We’re open. We’re working hard to improve the squad. Our biggest aim is to give the team the best chance of staying in the league.”
Elsewhere, Brentford star Ivan Toney has apologised after a video of him saying F**k Brentford’ was posted online.
He wrote on Twitter: “I am aware of a video of me that was published on social media today, taken in Dubai where I have been on holiday during the winter break. In it, I used language that was unacceptable.
“The video was cut short and edited, but I have to accept the impact this has had and I realise I should not have put myself in that position.
“I have explained to the gaffer what happened and apologised to him but I also want to apologise to all Brentford fans. I respect the way you all support the team and I have to say how much I love playing for the club and for you.
“I’ll be back at training next week, working hard to score more goals to win us more games for the rest of the season.”
The post Newcastle submit ‘improved offer’ of £10m for Brighton defender appeared first on Football365.